8.27.2008

Week One Thursday and Friday Games Preview

Like my counter part will put myself on the line and get these picks out with the spread. I fancy myself pretty good at this but now the proof is in the puddin'. So her we go. Each week I will review all the games and give my opinion on the who will beat the spread, lets start with Thursday's games:

THURSDAY GAMES:

UTEP vs Buffalo(-3)
I love Turner Gill and I think the Bulls will improve again this year but UTEP and Trevor Vittoe are too consistent and all the pressure of opening game on Thursday night, will cause Drew the Willy's. Buffalo may win, but will not cover.
Pick: UTEP(+3)
Buffalo wins 42-17, LOSS




Vanderbuilt @ Miami(OH)(-3.5)
I really like QB Dickson for Vandy, but he is caught up in a QB controversy and Vandy lost a ton last year, QB rFR Clay Belton will get the start of Daniel Raudabaugh, but they will share time. This is a statement game for Miami and will answer a question, Can one of the Top MAC teams beat the lowest SEC team. I think so.
Pick: Miami(OH)(-3.5)
Vanderbuilt wins 34-13, LOSS

NC State @ S.Carolina -14
Like my co-blogger I agree the 14 points will be just to much. Tom O'Brien the HC of NC St will keep the score down with a solid ground game. S Carolina suffocate the offense of NC St making them one demensional but I look for the NC St D to slow down S Carolina just enough to cover.
Pick: NC St +14
S Carolina wins 34-0, LOSS

Wake Forest -11.5 @ Baylor
Another agree from me this will be closer then the spread. I really like Wake and I think this will be a ACC title contender but 1st game away jitters will keep the game closer then the 11. Also Art Briles will keep them motivated.
Pick: Baylor +11.5
Wake Forest wins 41-13, LOSS

Oregon St(-3) @ Stanford
I know Sammie Stroughter is back and I know Oregon St finished 9-4, and I know they have 7 offensive starters back, but Jim Harbaugh has something going on there other then a tree as a mascot. Give me Stan!
Pick: Stanford(+3)
Stanford wins 36-28, WIN

Troy(-6.5) @ Middle Tenn St
Omar Haugebrok loss will be bigger then usual for Troy who usually bounce back, but I belive MTSU will hang around with Dwight Dasher and that spread offense.
Pick: MTSU(+6.5)
Troy wins 31-17, LOSS

Friday Games
Temple -7 @ Army
20 starters return for Temple which means nothing but Al Golden should get them motivated enough to beat Army.
Pick: Temple -7
Temple wins 35-7, WIN

Smu @ Rice -3.5
June Jones has put the stamp on this team, so it will officially take two years to see what SMU has. Justin Willis has been demoted to 3rd String. Wow. So with the signal caller situation a personal issue. Give me the much improved Rice, whom I believe will shock some people this year. Chase Clement and Jarrett Dillard will really show up for this one.
Pick: Rice -3.5
Rice wins 56-27, WIN

3-5 vs Spread so far, rough opening but

1 comment:

J.Pike said...

Wow, you're picking them all!

The SMU quarterback situation was a shock to me. Bo Levi Mitchell will get the job done in his place, but Rice wins that game.

I'm with you on Jim Harbaugh and Stanford showing improvement - I've got them bowl eligible this year. But I like Oregon State too, and I like the Beavers to win this tough road game. Learn the name Ryan McCants, and get to know the Rodgers brothers (James and Jacquizz). I'll be in the car, so I'll have to check the DVR next week for this one.