9.20.2008

Football for Breakfast

Breakfast seems to be getting later and later every week. Now I'm barely getting up in time for the 11 o'clock games! Oh well. Here's some quick picks for breakfast:

Georgia Tech 13, Mississippi St. 9
Can you say defensive battle? I don't see Wesley Carroll and the Mississippi State offense having much success against the Michael Johnson and company. Paul Johnson has the coaching edge here, so I think the Yellow Jackets hang around all day and bust one late for the win.

Iowa 20, Pittsburgh 17
This is a measuring stick game for both programs and both coaches. Even though I think Pitt has the better team, I have more faith in Kirk Ferentz than Dave Wannstedt right now.

Boston College 17, Central Florida 13
BC hasn't been very good offensively so far this year. UCF has been good defensively. That spells close, low scoring game.

UCLA 31, Arizona 20
After last week's embarrassing loss to BYU, the Bruins will be more than happy to face one of the most poorly coached teams in the Pac-10. Norm Chow and company will make Mike Stoops look silly - again.

Miami 30, Texas A&M 17
How good is Miami? We'll find out a little bit about them today. Watch out for Mike Goodson though - he can make things happen.

Virginia Tech 23, North Carolina 17
Seems to me everyone is a bit quick to jump on the Tar Heel bandwagon. I'm not sure Rutgers was all that great. The Hokies will get back on track.

Rutgers 34, Navy 30
Speaking of Rutgers not being that good, I'm still sort of drinking the Kool-Aid anyway. Kenny Britt just oozes with talent so I think the Scarlet Knight offense explodes today.

Florida State 24, Wake Forest 20
This should be an interesting matchup. Wake Forest comes in with the hype of preseason expectations, while Florida State has been flying under the radar. I still think Wake is overrated, so give me FSU.

Ole Miss 29, Vanderbilt 23
I actually like both of these teams. Vandy is undefeated and actually getting top 25 attention from us here at Pikes Picks thanks to their solid play so far this season. Unfortunately I think Ole Miss has a little bit more talent - and Houston Nutt. Ole Miss pulls out the win late.

TCU 32, SMU 13
TCU rolls in this rivalry game. I'm not sure June Jones is worth the $2 mil he's making.

Purdue 41, Central Michigan 28
These two teams met twice last year and there was very little defense played in either matchup. Purdue looks improved on that side of the ball so far this year, so I think Kory Sheets will outscore Dan LeFevour.

Fresno State 31, Toledo 29
Fresno had better not be suffering from a hangover after their loss to Wisconsin last week because Toledo can beat 'em. I'll give Fresno the nod though despite their recent history of letdowns following big games.

No comments: